In the comments section for the post about the python (below), I mentioned how the hens are laying their eggs in the stockyard.
Although the stockyard looked quite innocuous, with tall lovely grass ... (so tempting for the horses) ... on closer inspection you can see that the grass is dangerously laced everywhere with barbed wire, which would rip and tear fragile horses' legs if they ever got in.
The wire is terribly entangled in the tall grasses and pulling it out by hand is impossible. John and I considered a few options to remove it: we debated using roundup to kill the grass (rejected as the stockyard would become a barren wasteland); or burning the grass off in the winter as it dries (rejected as probably the entire stockyard would burn down). We tried using a brushcutter to cut the grass to a sensible height, but that didn't work as the brushcutter just kept hitting wire and getting tangled in it. We tried cutting the wire into shorter manageable pieces and pulling it out, but after about an hour of that it soon appeared that it would take approximately 17.6 years of hard and prickly labour to get it out using that method.
It was clear we had to devise more drastic measures to deal with the problem.
To be continued ...